The Board of Fire Commissioners of Port Reading Fire District #2 swore in William Stamato last night. Congratulations to the newly hired firefighter who starts his new career. Thank you to all who attended the ceremony for taking the time out of your day to support our brother.
National Burn Awareness Week is February 1 - 7, 2016. The purpose of this week long observance is to share a common burn awareness and prevention message. Each year, over 450,000 burn injuries occur in the United States with young children and older adults most at-risk. Between 2007 and 2013, the proportion of burn center admissions due to scald burns increased from 29.8% to 33.7% nationwide. These scald injuries are preventable.
TIPS TO STAY SAFE
Set your water heater at 120 degrees F/48 degrees C or just below the medium setting.
Use a thermometer to test the water coming out of your bath water tap.
Run your hand through bath water to test for hot spots.
Use back burners and turn pot handles toward the back of the stove so children cannot pull them down.
Use oven mitts when cooking or handling hot food and drinks.
Stir and test food cooked in the microwave before serving. Open heated containers away from you from back to front.
Keep children away from the stove when cooking by using a safety gate for younger children and marking with tape a 3-foot “no-kid zone” for older children.
Keep hot drinks away from the edge of tables and counters and avoid using tablecloths and place-mats.
Use a “travel mug” with a tight-fitting lid for all hot drinks.
Never hold or carry a child while you have a hot drink in your hand.
For more information on how to stay safe, please visit #FlashSplash
Local 290 will be hosting our annual Bowl-A-Thon to raise money and awareness for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Firefighters across the country raise money for this cause every year and in Woodbridge Township, it's no different. The Bowl-A-Thon will be held at the Woodbridge Bowling Center on Saturday, February 20, 2016 from 1pm-4pm. The cost per participant is only $20.
The International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) has supported MDA for more than six decades with steadfast drive and uncommon caring! As the Muscular Dystrophy Association's largest national sponsor, the IAFF fuels MDA's mission to save and improve the lives of people affected by muscular dystrophy, ALS and other diseases that severely limit strength and mobility, helping them live longer and grow stronger.
This event is family friendly and a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Public donations are always appreciated and Corporate Sponsor ship is available. For more information, please contact:
Directions to Woodbridge Bowling Center
Members of IAFF Local 290 visited Saint Peters Hospital in New Brunswick, NJ and delivered gifts to the more than twenty five children who are not able to be home this holiday season. While most people will spend time with their extended families this holiday season, these children will spend them with their nurses and doctors. The holiday season is a time for sharing the joys of the season as well as giving what we can to those in need. The members of Local 290 hope that the gifts provide some much needed light during the children's darker hours. For more information or to make a donation to this annual initiative, please contact:
Woodbridge Township Firefighters Association, Local 290, Attention: Children's Holiday, 418 School Street, Woodbridge, NJ 07095
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking is the leading cause of home fires on Thanksgiving Day. A cooking fire is three times more likely on Thanksgiving than on any other day of the year.
“Most fires on Thanksgiving occur between noon and 4:00 p.m. – the peak cooking hours,” says IAFF Local 290 President, Keith Repace. “A lot of those fires can be easily avoided by staying alert and in the kitchen while cooking.”
Many home cooking fires are caused by unattended equipment, abandoned material, a heat source left too close to flammable materials, product misuse and cooking equipment that is not properly turned off.
The use of turkey fryers – which use a large amount of cooking oil at high temperatures – also poses a significant danger and can lead to devastating burns, other injuries and the destruction of property. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends seeking out grocery stores, specialty food retailers and restaurants for preparation or using new “oil-less” turkey fryers.
If you have a cooking fire, go outside and call 9-1-1 for the help of your local fire fighters.
Thanksgiving is also a high time for cooking related burns. To prevent scalds and burns, cook on back burners and make sure all pot handles are turned inward so children don’t come into contact with them. Appliances that get hot, such as toaster ovens, should also be well out of a child’s reach. Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drinks are prepared or carried.
According to the American Red Cross, home fires are the single most common disaster across the nation.
The members of IAFF Local 290 urge you to cook with caution and wishes you a happy Thanksgiving holiday.
On Sunday, November 15, 2015, the Port Reading Fire Department and Colonial Pipeline hosted a training event that simulated a Full Surface Tank Fire at the Port Reading facility. The training was a perfect platform to showcase the capabilities of the Williams Ambassador 2000 x 6000 gallon-per-minute hydro foam nozzle with special foam proportioning jet pumps and a Neidner 7.25 inch high volume industrial supply hose – equipment purchased for the Port Reading Fire District by Colonial Pipeline. Members of the Port Reading Fire Company, Woodbridge Fire Department, Woodbridge Township Office of Emergency Management and the Colonial Pipeline Emergency Response and Security Team attended this training.
The members of Local 290 would like to recognize Captain Paul DeLeo for his hard work and dedication in procuring funds to purchase the Williams Ambassador 2000 x 6000 gallon-per-minute hydro foam nozzle with special foam proportioning jet pumps from Colonial Pipeline.
Captain Daryl Zullo - Port Reading Fire District 2
Lieutenant Robert Hilliard Jr. - Woodbridge Fire District 1
Captain Jeffrey Moran - Woodbridge Fire District 1
From all the brothers of Woodbridge Township Firefighters Association I.A.F.F. Local 290, we would like to wish Jeff, Daryl and Bobby a happy, healthy and fulfilling retirement. Your knowledge and dedication to the Woodbridge and Port Reading Fire Departments will be missed but never forgotten.