Congratulations to Captain Robert Paul on being promoted.
Woodbridge, NJ - Two-thirds of home fire deaths result from fires in homes without a working smoking alarm, according to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA). Woodbridge Township IAFF Local 290 fire fighters remind you to not only change your clock for Daylight Savings Time but the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, too.
Saving your life can be as simple as changing your smoke and carbon monoxide alarm batteries twice a year and replacing smoke and carbon monoxide alarms every seven to ten years. Special smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are even available for those who are deaf or hearing-impaired.
The NFPA reports that working smoke alarms cut the risk of dying in a home fire in half. Research has also demonstrated that photoelectric smoke alarms are more effective at warning people of smoke from smoldering fires than ionization smoke alarms. With earlier warning, people have more time to escape a burning structure and call to 9-1-1.
Your local fire fighters recommend installing a dual purpose smoke alarm in every bedroom, outside of every bedroom and on each floor of your home.
You should also install carbon monoxide alarms in your home and check them once a month. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless and poisonous gas.
More than 2,300 people die each year in home fires. Having a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm that works 24 hours a day greatly increases your chance of survival if your home catches on fire.
In the case of an emergency, please call 9-1-1 for the help of your local fire fighters.
Woodbridge Township, NJ –By making small adjustments to costume and decoration choices on Halloween, danger and risk to public safety is easily decreased.
“It is important for people to take basic precautions to make sure they have nothing other than a fun-filled Halloween,” says President Keith Repace of IAFF Local 290.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, the United States sees an overall increase in fires on Halloween caused by open flames, and the arson fire rate is 10 percent higher than on any other day with 15,500 fires and $92 million in property loss per year.To ensure a safe and happy Halloween, IAFF Local #290 offers the following tips:
- Use battery operated lights, not candles, to decorate walkways. Always keep candles, matches and lighters in a place that children cannot reach. This will make it much safer for trick-or-treaters and decrease the chance of an open flame fire.
- Keep children, costumes and decorations away from open flames and heat sources. Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable.
- Check lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires or loose connections. Make sure they are certified by a recognized organization like the Underwriters’ Laboratory, Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or the Underwriters’ Laboratory of Canada (ULC). Do not overload extension cords. Indoor and outdoor decorative lights can be fire hazards.
- Choose costumes that are comfortable, easy to walk in and see.
- Pick brightly colored costumes that can be clearly seen by motorists. Add reflective tape to the costume to increase visibility.
Please call 9-1-1 for the help of your local fire fighters in the case of a fire or emergency.
IAFF Local #290 wishes you a happy and safe Halloween.
In many ways, breast cancer has affected each of us whether it be through diagnosis of a neighbor, friend or a family member. The members of the Woodbridge Township Firefighters Association proudly supports breast cancer awareness month. T-Shirts are available for purchase for $15.00 at the Fords Fire Station between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm.
On Tuesday, November 5, 2014, the Woodbridge Township Professional Firefighters Association, I.A.F.F. Local 290 will be raising funds to benefit Firefighters for Operation Warm at the recently opened Miller's Ale House. All proceeds go directly towards the purchase of new winter coats for under privileged children in our community. Wristbands wearers will receive a 10% discount off the entire bill. Wristbands and t-shirts will be sold at the door for $10 each. Please come out and support this worthwhile cause. Miller's Ale House is conveniently located at:
350 US Hwy 9 North, Woodbridge, NJ 07095